Book Progress

Click to view daily statistics

Kmuzu Gallery

Kmuzu Gallery





Test

Jun 19, 2008

Bottle Neck

The Science Museum in London is displaying a fascinating glass sculpture called, Klein Bottle 1995-1996.

"This is one of a series of glass Klein bottles made by Alan Bennett in Bedford, United Kingdom for the Science Museum, London. It consists of three Klein bottles, one inside another. A Klein bottle is a surface which has no edges, no outside or inside and cannot properly be constructed in three dimensions. In the series Alan Bennett made Klein bottles analogous to Mobius strips with odd numbers of twists greater than one." - Science Museum

This statement does not really convey the beautiful intricacies of the work. As you follow each tube to the inside, you realize that each leg makes up a inside nodule and that all legs are connected together from the inside. The geometry (if that is the right word) of the structure does remind me of a Mobius strip, in that there is really no defined inside or outside.

I don't know if that makes any sense. Let's just say, I think the whole thing is ... well .. really cool. If I ever find myself in London, I definitely will have to check out the Science Museum. We have a Science Museum in Las Vegas, but it is all dedicated to how a slot machine works. Ya got to teach those kids early - Slots for Tots.

0 comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm a designer and a writer, but rarely design what I write. I like games - all kinds of games and have always made money at everything my father said was a waste of time.

Followers

Powered by FeedBurner

 
© 2008 - [ Twirl ] diseñado por doxs | templates